Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Communication

What makes any relationship, business or personal, work? The one key thing that takes the longest to drill into a person's head: communication. I'm not talking a short conversation full of grunts and "yea, whatever"s, but actual back and forth discussion and listening.

Ok, sure, that C word could include the nonverbal, too, but if you aren't on the same wavelength, a wave of the hand meaning a dismissal could be interpreted as a wave of consent. Talking is important.

It was through talking that I realized my husband was absolutely confused about what I meant when I would tell him about the internal events of my 'lady bits'. To me, I was saying "I'm in pain right now, but I would love a round of fun in a few hours." His ears would hear "I am indisposed for another few days." Major confusion, no?

What made things worse was the unpredictable nature of my periods and pms symptoms due to the cysts; yes, I was on the Metformin, and, yes, I was taking regulating birth control pills, but my hormones were somehow that out of whack. There were a few months where I would have a full two weeks of light bleeding, enjoy a short week-long break, then suffer a heavy week long flow. It was maddening.

We both devised, the same day, a way - the same way - to communicate on a much simpler level how I was feeling for the day. Great minds think alike (insert wink here). Our bathroom has a full vanity mirror and a mirror covered medicine cabinet; the medicine cabinet sits on an odd wall, so the mirror is pointless - until now. We have a habit of using dry erase markers to add important notes for the day or week on the vanity mirror, so why not do the same on the awkward side mirror?

The medicine cabinet is now a Mrs.M. status board: a happy, smiling face means I'm good to go, while  a sad, often crying, frowny face means there is a hold on any baby-making practice. Like I said: it's fairly simple. It has cut down on disappointing nights and has made for some fun adult coloring.

Sometimes, it's the little things that make the most impact.



No comments:

Post a Comment